Motion Graphics

Impact Report

the brief

At the end of each academic year Student Hubs create a report detailing their impact data and achievements. The brief was to create a 1 to 2 minute video featuring Student Hub’s headline impact statistics for 2016/17. Their aim was for their supporters and partners to share the video and direct people to read the full digital Impact Report on their website.


I have created content for Students Hub’s before therefore I was aware their branding is white, orange and charcoal, and use a sans serif font.

I researched their website to gain a clearer understanding of previous formatts of Impact Report. Before Student Hubs had only presented their impact statistics on their website, so there was little inspiration take from previous examples; however, researching the other reports gave me an understanding of what information Student Hubs previously emphasised the most on their website. They focused mainly on the figures therefore I knew my design needed emphasise above the other information.

Student Hubs Branding Guidelines

At the beginning of the project I referred to the brand guideline I created earlier last year in order to ensure there is consistency throughout the Student Hubs brand; however, during my project, Student Hubs also created an official brand guideline.

The guide specified exactly what shade of colours were needed and clarified what font to use. I was initially using Cocogoose Regular; however, the guideline showed I should be used Century Gothic instead. Thankfully, I had not started creating the final outcome, so the font adjustment and colour combinations did not pose as a problem.

the content

Once I understood the brand, I started to consider what content would be included and how it should be presented. Molly Whyte, Communications Manager at Student Hubs, and my main contact throughout the project, provided me with a Google Document with the statistics that needed to be included; however, how they were presented was for me to decide.

I started by going through each section of the document and brainstorming animations and illustrations that could be used to complement the written content, without distracting the user.

Initial Storyboards

These brainstorms formed the beginning of my initial storyboards. I started by deciding what order the content should be shown in. I decided it would be the most appropriate to first introduce Student Hubs, explain what Student Hubs do, what Student Hubs have achieved, the main statistics of the report and finally thanks you to the necessary individuals and organisations.

Final Storyboards

Finally, I created my final storyboard, taking inspiration from my initial sketches and using the written content from Molly.

The final storyboards allowed me to ensure I spread the content evenly throughout the video and emphasised the impact statistics. I also noted down any colours or animations that I planned to implement in the final outcome, including camera movements, background colours and text colours.


Once I completed my final storyboards, I moved onto creating the final outcome in AfterEffects. I decided to use AfterEffects because it is an industry-standard tool for video compositing, motion graphics design, and animation, therefore I felt it was the most appropriate for this project.

Throughout the video I used multiple compositions which included multiple layers for example audio footage, animated text, vector graphics, and still images.

Due to the project have multiple layers and animated elements I found it easiest to organise the project by nesting compositions. By putting more than one compositions into another composition I was able to animate multiple layers together and I found it easier to find the layers I was looking for.

I have used AfterEffects before, creating a similar video; however, like every project, the experience helped me to improve my skills in AfterEffects, specifically organising my project because I knew there was the potential it could be used but another designer next year to create the impact report for 2017/18 therefore I wanted to ensure the layers were clearly layout.

Final Outcome and Feedback

The final outcome was a one minute and fifty second video that presented Student Hub’s impact statistics for 2016/17. This met Student Hub’s expectations that the video was to be between one and two minutes and I included all the content necessary from the 2016/17 Impact Report. I was pleased with the final outcome especially the scratched video effect that matched the scratch sound effect on the music.

The client Molly, and the CEO Student Hubs, Francis Wight, gave a small amount of feedback, including the statistics on the motivations section and suggested some sections should be removed because they were not relevant. Changing the structure was a challenge because it took a great deal of time re-adjusting the keyframes for animations so the video played smoothly with the sections remove. Enough the adjustments took a long time, I believe it made the video more concise and focused on the key information.


Overall I was pleased with the final outcome, and I learnt new skills of using an adjustment layer to create a scratched video effect. This technique involved using a displacement map layer which used raw footage of an VHS which was overlaid onto the layer below. This is a technique I will continue to use because I felt it was engaging and a good way to transition to the next section of text.